Report a Concern

Submit a report to the Compliance Helpline

What Types of Documents May I Request?


“Government record” or “record” means any document stored or maintained electronically and that has been made, maintained or kept on file in the course of university official business.

To align with federal regulation and maintain confidentiality and integrity for our students and patients, OPRA does not provide access to student or medical records. If you would like to receive verification of attendance, copies of transcripts, or other student records, please contact the University Registrar. For inquiries regarding medical records, you may contact either RWJ Medical Group (New Brunswick) or NJMS University Physicians Associates (Newark) or Rutgers Health Group.

Please note the Government Records Law does not require a public entity to compile and/or analyze information and create documents or reports.

There are many types of documents the University does not have to disclose under OPRA. You may open the List of Exemptions here.

Documents frequently requested, such as contracts for Athletic Coaches and a guide to OPRA are found on The Rutgers Open Public Request Center, an online public portal.